Precast Products provided for Skye Fish Food Plant
Flood Precast provided precast products while working in conjunction with J&D Pierce Contracts who worked on structural steelwork on the new fish food plant on the island of Skye. This 17 storey steel building will be part of a large development which will include
- Raw Material Storage Building
- Bio filter building
- Finished product warehouse
- 60m chimney stack
- extension of the existing pier
It is hoped that the new multi-million pound development will be able to produce 170,000 tonnes of fish food per year and create 55 new jobs.
Precast Concrete Products:
Our precast products that were provided for this project included:
8000 m2 of Precast Concrete Flood Super Wideslab® flooring
Main advantage of why Flood Super Wideslab® was used for this project was the 2.4m width of the planks which reduced the number of planks to installed which was a benefit to the overall construction programme.
There are a range of technical advantages of using Flood Super Wideslab®
- Awkward shapes are easily accommodated – wet cast production allows for the forming of most shapes.
- Can be used to construct a flat slab with no down stand beams – projecting steel links cast into the unit accommodates shear without the requirement for bearing.
- Spans in two directions – ideal solution for dealing with disproportionate collapse or progressive collapse design.
- Heavy loads – the prestressed solid nature of the slab allows load to be redistributed and is an ideal solution for suspended service yards.
- Reduction in building height – shallowest structural floor zone available in the market.
- Openings can be easily accommodated – eliminates the requirement for trimmer beams.
- Better Sound Insulation – Flood Super Wideslab® is 50% better sound insulated than Hollowcore
Project: Skye Fish Food Plant
Steel Frame Contractor: J&D Pierce Ltd
Engineer: Blyth & Blyth
Main Contractor: Robertson
Don’t forget to connect with Flood Precast on LinkedIn
Contact Martin for projects in the UK. Email email@example.com
Latest posts by Martin Darby (see all)
- Precast Products provided for Skye Fish Food Plant - January 18, 2018
- Precast Concrete Stairs installed in innovative building design. - September 5, 2017
- Flood Precast provide precast roof slabs for defence camp - August 1, 2017